Built on philanthropy
Epworth HealthCare started with an idea: a vision to build a private hospital in Victoria that would provide people on modest incomes with more pleasant accommodation, dedicated nursing services, and better facilities than the public hospitals could often provide.
The hospital opened in 1920, made possible entirely by the generosity of philanthropists.
Sir Aaron Danks, a manufacturing engineer, donated the deeds of his two-storey brick house and land in Hawthorn, Victoria, to the new hospital, and followed this gift with a further donation of £4,950. This enabled the planning committee to purchase the first hospital building in Richmond, and other benefactors donated the £5,283 needed for building alterations, furnishing, equipment, general establishment and an operating theatre.
In October 2013, Epworth won the People’s Choice Award for the top philanthropic gift of all time in recognition of Sir Aaron’s support, from a line-up of the Top 50 philanthropic gifts and following almost 8,000 votes.
Today, with the help of our donors, we continually strive to provide a world-class hospital environment that not only provides the best possible outcomes for our patients but is also dedicated to their emotional and physical experiences during their time with us.
Indeed, Epworth exists for and because of its patients. We rely on donations to continue to provide our patients with state-of-the-art facilities, equipment, surgical expertise and access to research.